Neliswa Mkhize Family History

My grandmother is Dombi Janet Mkhize. She was born in 1949 August 30. She was raised by her parents Balekile Gwamanda and Buhle Sishi in Nhlazuka. My grandfather is Gijimani George Mkhize. He was born in 1945 March 14. He was raised in Nhlazuka in Kwa-Ngwegwe by his late parents Cuphakwemula Mkhize, his father and Nonhlangothi Shange, his mother. In 1965 my grandmother met with my grandfather. During that time my grandfather was still working, he was a truck driver and my grandmother did not go to school. She was staying at home helping her mother. In 1969, my grandmother fell pregnant with her first born child. They married. They named their child Nkosinathi. In 1972 they got another child without married they named their second daughter Busisiwe.

In 1973 they were married at St Bernand Catholic Church in Nhlazuka. Their wedding was officiated by Archbishop Father Rev Bernard. It was a wonderful wedding with lots of blessing to come. In 1978 they moved to Mdumezulu with their two children. During that time it was hard for them because my grandfather was not working because of cancer. They struggled in raising their two children without any funds coming in as they were both unemployed.

My grandfather survived and went back to work. He built 4 room house and 1 rondavel for his family. In 1975 they were blessed with another child and they named their child Nhlanhla. And in 1978 they another child was born Khanyisile who is my mother and in 1981 they had another child and named him Bonginkosi and in 1983 their last born Phumlile was born.

In 1989 my aunt who is the second daughter of grandmother fell pregnant when she was in Grade 11. In 1990 she gave birth to a child and named her child Thobeka. Thobeka’s father took her to Folweni to live with his family so that my aunt would continue with her education. She completed her matric in 1991, and continued with her education at University of Durban Westville doing teaching.

My grandfather was sick again from lung cancer. He lost his job because he was not well. In 1994 he was admitted to Addington Hospital where they later transferred him to King Edward Hospital where he later died. After he passed away life was tough in my family. My grandmother struggled with her 6 children. Then she went house by house cleaning to get something for her children and she even sold vetkoeks in schools. In 1997 clan factions started and our home was burnt down, we were homeless and my father was also killed during that time.

In 1998 we moved to Mbumbulu living in one rondavel. This is where the first son of my grandmother Nkosinathi died and her third son went to Zimbabwe to study as a priest of Catholic Church. The second daughter Busisiwe got a job in Post Office. In 2001 my mother gave birth to another baby and named him Mvelo and in 2001 my grandmother’s last born also had a baby girl and named her Mandisa. Sadly, after giving birth she had complications and died six months later. Now my grandmother is left with four children.

In 2002 my aunt Busisiwe got a job as a teacher at Wiggins Primary School. She built a big house with 5 rooms, 2 outside rooms and 1 rondavel. My uncle Bonginkosi didn’t finish school. He left school in Grade 4 and worked at Carefully Carries Company in Pinetown. In 2009 my aunt Busisiwe passed away after she had an operation in her abdomen and left her two children Thobeka and Thabiso. During that time Thobeka had already finished her matric. She is looking for a job, she had done a one year course in International Trade. My uncle Nhlanhla is also supporting my family, he is the priest of Catholic Church. In my family we now live a better life. My grandmother also is receiving a grant and both my uncles are supportive.

Leave a Comment