The Central Post Office was originally built as Durban’s first Town Hall and was officially opened on 25 October 1885. At the time it was the largest building in South Africa and was designed by Phillip M Dudgeon, who was later elected as a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects on the strength of this design.
Winston Churchill spoke to the citizens of Durban from its steps after his escape from the Boers in 1899. From 12 October to 5 November 1908 the building was the venue for the National Convention, which led to the formation of the Union of South Africa in 1910.
IsiZulu Summary – Iposi elikhulu eThekwini
Indawo yeposi yakhelwa ukuthi ibe yihholo ledolobho. Yavulwa ngokusemthethweni ngo October 25 1885. Ngalesosikhathi kwakuyibhilidi elikhulu eNingizimu Afrika lidwetshwe uPhillip M Dudgeon okwathi ngemuva kwesikhathi wakhethwa njengovelele ekudwetshweni kwalelibhilidi.
UWinston Churchill wakhuluma nezihlwele ezitebhisini zalilibhilidi ngo 1899 ngemuva kokuthi eqile. Kusukela ngo October 12 kuya ku5 November 1908 lendawo kwakubanjelwa kuyo iNational Convention eyaholela ekusungulweni kwe Union of South Africa ngo1910.