The aim of WikiAfrica is to redress the critical imbalance of factual information about historic and contemporary Africa on the Internet’s most utilised information resource, Wikipedia. Its goal is to Africanise Wikipedia by generating and expanding 30,000 articles by the end of 2012. For more information on the project, please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiAfrica and www.africacentre.net/wikiafrica
With these goals in mind, the Africa Centre seeks applicants for a Wikipedian in Residence for one year. The Wikipedian in Residence will work as:
- content and article liaison and writer for the Africa Centre and WikiAfrica’s content partners;
- community coordinator to strengthen the relationship between WikiAfrica and the Wikipedian community;
- Wikipedia guide and coach who will encourage, communicate with and assist all new Wikipedians drawn to the project; and
- project administrator.
This may include:
- promoting external participation in WikiAfrica;
- encouraging the contribution of existing and new Wikipedians to new and expanded articles (focus is on, but not limited to, English Wikipedia);
- adding content to the Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource sites from digital archives existing at the Africa Centre and from project partner organisations;
- assisting with the digitisation and online posting of archival materials;
- working with project partner staff to explain Wikipedia and Creative Commons practices; and
- communicating all content successes and general issues around the project with the Wikipedian community, and the interested public via direct emails, newsletter articles, social media and/or blog posts.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
- Monthly stipend: R8,500 per month
- Work Schedule: 4 day week (32 hours per week); one year contract, starting November 2011
- Benefits: Annual and sick leave.
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- This position is ideally suited to a PHD student or intern.
- Candidates will be considered from outside South Africa, however relocation and transport costs to Cape Town would have to be absorbed by the successful applicant.
Eligible candidates must:
- Have demonstrable and extensive research and writing skills in English (additional French language skills would be an advantage, but not essential);
- Have knowledge of Wikimedia practices;
- Have experience in motivating and managing volunteers;
- Work comfortably within a group or on your own;
- Have experience in managing multiple tasks and relationships; and
- Be passionate about Africa’s voice in the world.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons should apply by 14th November 2011. Your application should include:
1. Cover letter
[Note: Include why you would like to be the Wikipedian in Residence; your Wikipedia username; and an overview of your experience as a Wikipedia editor.]
2. Your CV (2 pages max.)
3. An example of an article that you have researched and written
Submit your application to:
Isla Haddow-Flood, Project Manager WikiAfrica, Africa Centre
Email your application to email@example.com
Isla at +21 422 0468 (firstname.lastname@example.org)